Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The west coast is AMAZING!!

So the first day back out west I played in a tournament called a Cliver. It is a tournament run by a gentleman by the name of Jim Clive and the association called KBVA. It is a great run tourney and June 26th happened to be a record breaking tournament with 43 teams! The sun was out, the beach was full and I had a lot of friends and family swing by to cheer me on. It was game time and a no pressure experience I was looking forward to as I signed up with a new partner while Chaim was still in Norway.

The partner I played with is originally from Poland but moved to Canada to play for Vancouver Island University. He wound up staying with his wife and he has a history of success on the Polish sand. He is a 6'5 specimen who specializes in defence so we were a natural fit during Chaim's absence.

To keep things short, we played 3 pool play sets to 25 and came second in our pool. We lost to the first seed in the pool while we figured out our playing style and offensive connection. Luckily for us the best was yet to come.


The bracket was long due to the 43 teams so we had 5 matches to get to gold. Time between matches was short so my mother fed us well and we pushed hard against some good teams and came out on top.


In the semis we met classic Vancouver Island ballers Sean and Dan Casey who I have been playing with since the first time I ate sand. We won that match handily as Chris sided out like a Champ and we moved into the finals vs a team from the USA. This team was all about ball control but we were a larger more physical team. We took the match convincingly in two sets in front of a rowdy peanut gallery and then rolled up to the Sunset Grill where we followed tradition and bought pitchers of beers for the players.




All in all it was a solid day at the office!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you guys did good! but i'm so excited to see you and Chaim kick some ass at COG !!!!!!

    Good luck
    Laurel Raffel
    Number 1 Fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've
    had problems with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
    Also visit my weblog - pizza games kids girls

    ReplyDelete