Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympic Parents

One of my favourite parts of the Olympic Games is the features of the athletes from different countries and sports. I am not afraid to admit that I turn into an emotional basket case due to the power of each segment as they feature the sacrifice, often painful pasts and inspirational successes of individuals leading up to and during the games.

As a fellow athlete, fully dedicated to my discipline, I have an empathy pathway with no filter that swells whenever I see a clip of athletic success or defeat. I feel the joy, pain, euphoria and countless sacrifices of each athlete as their story is told. It is so fascinating hearing the stories behind each dream and about the influential people who assisted them in their pursuit of glory. My most sensitive subject is the parents who blessed, supported and sacrificed so their children could commit their lives to attaining an Olympic Gold. That one gets me every time, because, my story could be a lot different if I didn't have parents who believed in me.

Those close to me and especially my extended family know the sacrifices my parents Patrisha and Norman have made for me to live the life I do. At any event (especially in Vancouver) I have the backing of 20 plus family members but more specifically, I have amazing support from my parents who have put themselves last in my pursuit of Olympic glory. They have never questioned, complained or asked for anything in return and they go above and beyond the call of duty in providing me with whatever they can.

Their unconditional love and boundless support IS the reason I am where I am today. Without their constant support my life path could not be possible; they are the reason I am able to do what I do.

I am thankful for their commitment to my success and there are no words that can express my deep love and appreciation for their unwavering desire to help me become the best I can possibly be.

Throughout the features I am noticing a trend. Every parent in the vignettes are incredibly inspirational, supportive, vibrant and athletic themselves. I can relate this to my life as my mother has been preparing mentally and physically to be an Olympic mom for a few yeas now! She is always bringing up her excitement to be interviewed by Brian Williams when I make it to the Olympic Games. That subtle detail is one of many that inspire me to new heights; my mother is an Olympic mom! And to my father who has called me champ since I conquered the womb; you have affected me deeper than you can imagine.

So this thanks goes out to the Olympic parents. They deserve medals themselves as few Olympic Athletes would be able to compete without the amazing blessing of the people who brought them into this world.

I love you Mom and Dad

1 comment:

  1. Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person's blog link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

    Check out my blog post :: http://powerpumpxlblog.com

    ReplyDelete